Ms. Berkshire has had the opportunity to represent a wide range of clients, from property owners of small businesses to owners and operators of large industrial facilities and power plants. She represents numerous major commercial properties and has a great deal of experience and expertise in appealing the assessments of anchor department stores. She has successfully represented schools and religious organizations to obtain exemptions from ad valorem property taxes.
Ms. Berkshire has represented owners and users of property before formal and informal administrative boards and tribunals, local assessors and Boards of Review, the State of Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board and the Michigan Tax Tribunal, as well as appellate district courts. She has also assisted clients in securing incentives (Class 6B, Class 8, Class 7c) and renewals of incentives.
Ms. Berkshire enjoys teaching real estate law to assessors through the Illinois Property Assessment Institute, an educational organization. In addition to teaching, she continues to further her education in the realm of property taxation by regularly reading both case law and the decisions of administrative agencies; she also attends courses designed for both appraisers and attorneys.
While in law school, Ellen served as a member of the Moot Court Honor Society, successfully competing in several nationwide competitions.
Ms. Berkshire is admitted to practice in the State of Illinois and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Ad Valorem Property Tax Appeals
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation
- Property Tax Abatements and Tax Incentives
- Property Tax Legal Issues
- Zoning and Real Estate Development Matters
- Chicago–Kent College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2003
- Ball State University
Masters in Information and Communication
- Indiana University
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Publications & Presentations
- Essential Case Law for Illinois Real Estate Tax Appeals — Presentation before the Chicago Bar Association
- Technical Concerns, Presenting Evidence before the Property Tax Appeal Board — Presentation before the Illinois Association of County Officials (CCAO Session)
- Educational Exemptions for Pre-School: Thinking Outside the Box — Presentation before the Chicago Bar Association
- Case Study: Marshall Field’s State Street v PTAB — Presentation before the Chicago Bar Association
- The Role of the Valuation Witness in the Assessment Appeal Process — Presentation, White Paper and Webinar with Gregory Lafakis prepared for the International Association of Assessing Officials
- Moderator for Women’s Property Tax Association Educational Events
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- International Association of Assessing Officers
- Women’s Property Tax Association, Founding Member and Treasurer